Italian food is one of my favourites to cook at home and we often make pasta or home-made pizzas – easy, straightforward and delicious. My husband’s signature dish is red pesto pasta made fresh.
Here’s how he makes it for the two of us
- Mix together 2 handfuls of fresh basil, 4-5 sun-dried tomatoes, handful of pine nuts, 2 cloves of garlic, olive oil, sea salt to taste, tomata paste (cirio) and ground pepper
- Grind the mixture into a smooth paste (use a blender for this)
- Make pasta in a separate pan – remember to add a touch of salt and olive oil
- Fry finely-cut half an onion into olive oil for a few minutes
- Stir the red pesto mixture to the onions and cook
- Add half a tin of chopped tomatoes to the frying pan and let it cook
- Mix in 100 ml of creme fraiche to the pan
- Keep stirring till it starts bubbling
- Add the pasta to the red pesto sauce
Serve up with garlic bread and glass of red wine.
Enjoy and Buon Appetito as the Italians would say!