Scones are the easiest English breakfast, teatime or snack to make. And you can add any type of jam or marmalade on top though I swear by the traditional clotted cream and strawberry jam….For Father’s day, we made a batch using the following BBC Food recipe.
- 225g/8oz self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 55g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 150ml milk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten to brush the top
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together flour and salt and rub in butter.
- Stir in sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack
Serve with butter, strawberry jam and clotted cream…Delish and so quick to make!