- Last year’s family Christmas was hosted by my cousin and her hubby – she made a lovely starter dish of crispy pitta chips topped with aubergine, pomegranate, feta and mint! We’ve made this plenty of times as it’s quick, easy and perfect for entertaining.
- 2 large aubergines
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 125g feta, crumbled
- 4 good-sized pitta breads
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp ground cumin
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Wash the aubergines and place under a hot grill, turning them frequently for around 15 minutes, until blackened and charred on either side.
2. Once cool, cut the aubergines lengthways and scoop out the flesh with a spoon, chopping it finely. Mixl with the garlic, chilli, lemon juice, olive oil and mint (keep some mint aside for garnish). Season with sea salt and set aside, while preparing the pitta chips.
3. Split each pitta in half widthways and cut into wedges. Place flat on a baking tray and drizzle with enough oil to coat each chip. Sprinkle with salt and cumin and place in the oven for eight minutes until golden and crisp.
4. To serve, spoon a little of the aubergine mix on to each pitta and top with a few pomegranate seeds, some crumble pieces of feta and little bit of mint.